Labels

Friday, January 17, 2014

coffee, tea or me?

"Coffee, tea or me?" photo by Gina Matchinsky.
One of the art pieces from the 2013 Des Moines Arts Festival


January 15, 2014 question is: "On the scale of 1 to 10, how was your lunch today?"

After sleeping 4:30am already the day before, this morning I woke up 8:30am. Just 4 hours of sleep and my regular sleep hours is 8. I just straightened up stuffs around the house for a bit, had my usual Kellog's cornflakes breakfast and then proceeded writing my story for yesterday's post.

It was around 11:30am when I finished and I still needed to prepare myself for a visit to a friend's house so I just drank tea and took a bath, then called some people and then finish my final preparation routine in time for me to get picked up and delivered to my destination. My next food intake was half a Hershey bar eaten inside the car on the way to a friend. So for lunch time it was just tea.

Between drinking tea or coffee, I prefer tea. I guess it is the aftertaste of coffee that I don't like much. It is something warm to drink that I very much appreciate on a cold winter day. You feel warm inside and cleansed and light after a drink.

My love for tea started when I first got pregnant with my eldest daughter. It was a NO NO to take medication for diarrhea when one is pregnant and my tummy often has a hard time digesting food I ate resulting to tummy trouble. A friend told me to drink tea with sugar and to my surprise that always did the trick! No need to take Diatabs or Imodium or Alka Seltzer. Just around 2 cups of tea with sugar and I'm fine.

Another incident that tea helped was when I had my ulcers or bouts of hyperacidity. I just eat crackers, my most favorite brand is Sky Flakes, drink my Lipton tea with sugar and that relieves the stomach pain and stops me from going to the restroom a lot.

When I have a fever, a nice warm tea with honey can help me sweat to keep the temperature low, too.

On long trips and when I am not quite sure if the food there will agree with my tummy, I always order iced tea just to make sure that whatever it is that might cause problem will already get stopped from developing.

When I was in the Philippines, I used to drink a variety of Twinings tea. The nice thing about it is they come in different flavors. I tried the Chamomile, Earl Grey, Green Tea, Black Tea, Irish Breakfast, Cinnamon, Cranberry, Blueberry, Raspberry and many others. But nothing beats my honest-to-goodness, 100% Natural Lipton tea that is my tummy trouble one-man-band cure.

So on the scale of 1 to 10 and 10 being the top score, on a cold winter day with not much activity and needing to diet and had to go out, I would rate my tea lunch, 10 for being just what I needed at the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment